Two more judges sworn in Supreme Court
New Delh: Justices Dipak Misra and Jasti
Chelameswar were today sworn in as Supreme Court judges,
raising the strength of the apex court to 28.
Chief Justice of India S H Kapadia administered the oath
of office to Misra and Chelameswar, former chief justices of
Delhi and Kerala High Courts respectively.
Justice Misra had taken charge as the Delhi High Court
Chief Justice on May 24, last year. He had joined the
judiciary on January 17, 1996 when he was made an additional
judge of the Orissa High Court.
He was subsequently transferred to Madhya Pradesh High
Court on March 3, 1997 and became a permanent High Court judge
there on December 19 the same year.
Born on October 3, 1953, Justice Misra was enrolled as an
advocate on February 14, 1977 and practiced in constitutional,
civil, criminal, revenue, service and sales tax matters in
Orissa High Court and the service tribunals.
Justice Misra also worked as the Chief Justice of Patna
High Court from December 23, 2009 till May 24, last year when
he joined the Delhi High Court as its chief justice.
Justice Chelameswar had assumed the charge of Kerala High
Court as its chief justice on March 17, last year. He was
first elevated as an additional judge in the Andhra Pradesh
High Court on June 23, 1997 and was made a judge there on May
17, 1999. On May 3, 2007, he was appointed as Chief Justice of
the Gauhati High Court.
Born on June 23, 1953 in Andhra Pradesh, Justice
Chelameswar enrolled as an advocate in the Andhra Pradesh High
Court in 1976.
He specialised in constitutional and electoral laws,
besides the central excise, customs, income tax and criminal
Appointed as standing counsel of AP Lokayukta in 1985,
Justice Chelameswar also worked as government pleader for home
affairs in 1988 and 1989. He was designated as senior counsel
in 1995 before being appointed as AP`s additional advocate
general on October 13, 1995.
The apex court at present has a sanctioned strength of 31
judges including the CJI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks