Two more judges sworn in Supreme Court
New Delh: Justices Dipak Misra and Jasti
Chelameswar were today sworn in as Supreme Court judges,
raising the strength of the apex court to 28.
Chief Justice of India S H Kapadia administered the oath
of office to Misra and Chelameswar, former chief justices of
Delhi and Kerala High Courts respectively.
Justice Misra had taken charge as the Delhi High Court
Chief Justice on May 24, last year. He had joined the
judiciary on January 17, 1996 when he was made an additional
judge of the Orissa High Court.
He was subsequently transferred to Madhya Pradesh High
Court on March 3, 1997 and became a permanent High Court judge
there on December 19 the same year.
Born on October 3, 1953, Justice Misra was enrolled as an
advocate on February 14, 1977 and practiced in constitutional,
civil, criminal, revenue, service and sales tax matters in
Orissa High Court and the service tribunals.
Justice Misra also worked as the Chief Justice of Patna
High Court from December 23, 2009 till May 24, last year when
he joined the Delhi High Court as its chief justice.
Justice Chelameswar had assumed the charge of Kerala High
Court as its chief justice on March 17, last year. He was
first elevated as an additional judge in the Andhra Pradesh
High Court on June 23, 1997 and was made a judge there on May
17, 1999. On May 3, 2007, he was appointed as Chief Justice of
the Gauhati High Court.
Born on June 23, 1953 in Andhra Pradesh, Justice
Chelameswar enrolled as an advocate in the Andhra Pradesh High
Court in 1976.
He specialised in constitutional and electoral laws,
besides the central excise, customs, income tax and criminal
Appointed as standing counsel of AP Lokayukta in 1985,
Justice Chelameswar also worked as government pleader for home
affairs in 1988 and 1989. He was designated as senior counsel
in 1995 before being appointed as AP`s additional advocate
general on October 13, 1995.
The apex court at present has a sanctioned strength of 31
judges including the CJI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling