Two suspected LeT operative sent to judicial custody till Feb 4
New Delhi: Two suspected LeT operative, whose arrest and alleged connection with Muzaffarnagar region have created a controversy, were on Tuesday remanded in judicial custody till February 4 by a Delhi court.
Rashid and Shahid was produced before Additional Sessions Judge Daya Prakash after expiry of their earlier custody who sent them to Tihar jail after the special cell of Delhi Police did not seek their further custodial interrogation.
The court allowed police`s plea and remanded Rashid and Shahid in judicial custody till February 4.
"The accused are remanded in JC (judicial custody) for 14 days. Produced them before the court on February 4," the court said.
Earlier this month, advocate M S Khan, who is appearing for both the accused, had apprised the court that a letter has been sent by his clients to Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde requesting him to transfer the case from the special cell of Delhi Police to National Investigation Agency (NIA).
The accused had said the matter requires a "thorough and fair" probe as there were loopholes in the version of special cell.
In the letter, the counsel had referred to a speech given by Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi on October 24 last year at Indore when he said that "an officer of Intelligence Bureau had briefed him about the infiltration of ISI in relief camps in Muzaffarnagar for the purpose of recruitment of youngsters".
"This matter requires a thorough and fair investigation as these two persons have been made scapegoats," the letter had said.
The special cell had recently said that Rashid and Shahid had met two persons in Muzaffarnagar region.
With the arrest of the duo from Haryana`s Mewat region, police had last month claimed to have busted a terror module of LeT which was in an "advanced stage" of planning a militant strike in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday