Two suspected LeT operative sent to judicial custody till Feb 4
New Delhi: Two suspected LeT operative, whose arrest and alleged connection with Muzaffarnagar region have created a controversy, were on Tuesday remanded in judicial custody till February 4 by a Delhi court.
Rashid and Shahid was produced before Additional Sessions Judge Daya Prakash after expiry of their earlier custody who sent them to Tihar jail after the special cell of Delhi Police did not seek their further custodial interrogation.
The court allowed police`s plea and remanded Rashid and Shahid in judicial custody till February 4.
"The accused are remanded in JC (judicial custody) for 14 days. Produced them before the court on February 4," the court said.
Earlier this month, advocate M S Khan, who is appearing for both the accused, had apprised the court that a letter has been sent by his clients to Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde requesting him to transfer the case from the special cell of Delhi Police to National Investigation Agency (NIA).
The accused had said the matter requires a "thorough and fair" probe as there were loopholes in the version of special cell.
In the letter, the counsel had referred to a speech given by Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi on October 24 last year at Indore when he said that "an officer of Intelligence Bureau had briefed him about the infiltration of ISI in relief camps in Muzaffarnagar for the purpose of recruitment of youngsters".
"This matter requires a thorough and fair investigation as these two persons have been made scapegoats," the letter had said.
The special cell had recently said that Rashid and Shahid had met two persons in Muzaffarnagar region.
With the arrest of the duo from Haryana`s Mewat region, police had last month claimed to have busted a terror module of LeT which was in an "advanced stage" of planning a militant strike in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list