UAE threatened not to let AI aircraft take off
New Delhi: The UAE air traffic control had
recently threatened Air India that it would not give take-off
permission for its aircraft at the Dubai airport as the
national carrier had not updated the navigation database
system, Parliament was informed today.
"Yes Sir, the UAE airspace had changed certain terminal
procedures, which were effective in the NAV (air navigation
services) data base cycle June 03, 2010 to July 01, 2010,"
Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel said in a written reply
to Rajya Sabha.
He was replying to a question on whether the UAE air
traffic control had threatened recently that it would refuse
Air India permission to take off its aircraft from Dubai
Airport as it had not updated the navigation database system.
He, however, did not mention on what date the incident
The navigation database which should be updated every 28
days includes flight path of the aircraft.
Patel said the aircraft was dispatched under a provision
of Directorate General of Civil Aviation, which allows a grace
period of 7 days in updating the navigation database.
Air India was using the grace period when the aircraft
entered Dubai terminal area, the Civil Aviation Minister said.
"Subsequent to the incident, instructions have been
issued to all concerned to ensure that new database is
uploaded before the expiry of existing navigation database
cycle," he said.
Patel said instructions have also been issued to release
aircraft operating to UAE "with current and latest navigation
He further said that the DGCA provision to use the grace
period will be "evoked only under extreme exigencies".
Replying to a separate question, Patel said that the rate
of aircraft getting close to each other in the skies have come
down to below one per cent in recent years.
"The year-wise air-proximity rate per lakh flights was
0.81 in 2007-08, 0.92 in 2008-09 and 0.96 in 2009-10," he
said, adding that efforts are made to further reduce it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling