Uddhav Thackeray backs Narendra Modi on `Hindu nationalist` remark
Mumbai: Shiv Sena, a constituent of BJP-led NDA on Monday defended Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s "Hindu nationalist" remark, saying JD(U)`s decision to snap ties with the party was "wrong".
"Modi made no mistake by saying that he is a Hindu. It was wrong on the part of Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar to exit NDA on a secular stand after Modi`s elevation in BJP," Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray told reporters after inaugurating the renovated office of the party `Shivalaya` in south Mumbai.
"Is it a crime to say that you are a Hindu? Since when it has become wrong in this country to say that you are Hindu"? Uddhav said.
Modi had termed himself as a "Hindu nationalist" in his interview to international news agency Reuters.
Taking potshots at Congress over the food security programme, Uddhav said "what prompted Congress to implement this scheme now?. Last year, when foodgrains were rotting in godowns, the Supreme Court had directed the government to distribute them among poor. However, the government paid no heed to the court`s directive".
He said Congress resorted to the ordinance route instead of passing the Food Bill in Parliament through debate because the party was aware that it would not be elected to power again.
"Congress is sinking. They know that they are not coming to power again. That is the reason they are pushing so hard for the food security bill," Uddhav said.
He announced Shiv Sena will provide legal aid to the police personnel sentenced to life imprisonment in connection with the fake encounter of alleged Chhota Rajan aide, Ram Narayan Gupta alias Lakhan Bhaiya.
A sessions court had on Friday awarded life term to 13 policemen and eight others for the 2006 encounter killing.
"We will also support their family members," Uddhav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark