Uddhav Thackeray to meet politicians, businessmen in Delhi
New Delhi/Mumbai: In a quantum shift in personal and political styles of functioning, Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray will address an august business gathering in New Delhi on Friday, a party official said.
The event will be the 92nd Annual Function of Associated Chambers of Commerce & Industry (Assocham), which will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at Vigyan Bhavan.
Later in the day, Uddhav Thackeray will address captains of business and industry and is likely to spell out his party`s economic policies.
This is the first time in the 47-year-old history of the Shiv Sena that a top leader will address a prestigious function in the national capital.
In contrast, his father - the late Bal Thackeray - used to summon all and sundry to his Bandra residence Matoshri for all discussions and decisions.
However, the fiery senior Thackeray religiously addressed the party`s annual Dassehra Rally at Shivaji Park, barring absenteeism on health and age grounds, till his demise last November.
Thursday night, Uddhav Thackeray attended a banquet hosted by Assocham president Rajkumar Dhoot, who also happens to be the party`s Rajya Sabha member and its corporate face.
Present at the banquet were many leading industrialists and businessmen, central and state government leaders like Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Heavy Industries Minister Praful Patel, Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission Montek Singh Ahluwalia and Congress MP Mohammed Azharuddin, among others.
On the occasion, the industrialists and Thackeray discussed the current economic scenario in the country, the crisis plaguing the rupee and creating a conducive business environment to attract more investments.
Earlier Thursday, Uddhav Thackeray met Bharatiya Janata Party leader LK Advani and was scheduled to meet BJP president Rajnath Singh on Friday.
Both meetings are considered significant given Shiv Sena`s preference for leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj over Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for a prominent national role after the next general elections.
Among others likely to meet Uddhav Thackeray are Janata Dal (United) president Sharad Yadav, following which the Sena chief will address the media in the national capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon in Brussels for EU talks
- Know the final recommendations of 7th Pay Commission in a nutshell
- Malala Yousafzai becomes millionaire with book sales, lectures
- Dennis Quaid's wife files divorce again
- RSS trained inmates of Jawahar Bagh: Ram Vriksh Yadav's 'security officer' to police