UDF walkout over felling of rubber trees by miscreants
Thiruvananthapuram: Congress led UDF opposition
in Kerala today staged a walkout in the assembly alleging that
LDF government was protecting those responsible for felling of
more than 1500 grown-up rubber saplings belonging to 11 small
farmers in Kottayam district.
Seeking leave for an adjournment motion on the issue,
Joseph M Puthussery (KC-M), alleged that CPI-M activists were
behind the incident that happened on March 4 night at Kotoor
Puthussery wanted the government to take action against the
persons responsible for the incident and pay compensation to
farmers who suffered loss. The farmers were very poor and had
availed loan from financial institutions the for cultivation,
Replying to the notice, Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan
said the government viewed the incident very seriously and a
special police squad had been formed to probe the case.
District Collector had been asked to submit a report based on
which government would pay compension to farmers, he said.
Not satisfied with the government response, the entire
opposition lead by Congress Deputy leader in the house G
Karthikeyan walked out.
Former minister and KC(M) leader K M Mani alleged that the
government was protecting those responsible for the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi