UGC anti-ragging helpline receives over 1.59 lakh calls
New Delhi: The anti-ragging helpline
launched by UGC to help victims of ragging and facilitate
effective action has so far received more than 1.59 lakh
calls, of which 350 complaints have been registered so far.
Between June 20, 2009 and February 5 this year, the
toll free helpline numbers have received "1,59,414 calls out
of which 350 complaints have been registered," Minister of
State for Human Resource Development D Purandeswari said.
The `anti-ragging helpline` was launched with call
centre facilities on June 20, 2009 to check the growing menace
of ragging in college campuses across the country.
The minister said that out of the total number of
complaints, 18 have been forwarded to the concerned
In a written reply in the Lok Sabha, she said 64
complaints were registered from Uttar Pradesh, which was the
highest of all states, and this was followed by 41 complaints
from Madhya Pradesh and 37 complaints from Orissa.
Delhi saw 13 complaints being registered, the minister
The call centre facilities are available in the
languages English, Hindi and regional languages like Tamil,
Talugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Punjabi, Marathi, Oriya, Assamese,
Gujarati and Bengali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations