UGC asks universities to fill vacant posts of teachers
New Delhi: UGC has asked all central universities to identify reasons for teaching posts lying vacant and make concerted efforts to fill them up, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Monday.
Out of the 16,692 sanctioned post, 6251 teaching posts are lying vacant.
"UGC recently wrote to all central universities to give topmost priority for identifying the causes for the vacancies and make concerted efforts to fill up the vacancies as per UGC norms, at an early date to ensure that the teaching work of the university is not affected," HRD Minister Smriti Irani said in a written reply.
The issue was also discussed prominently in the conference of the vice chancellors of central universities on February 6 and 7 under the chairmanship of the President, in which they were exhorted to fill up the vacancies in a timebound manner.
"As a follow-up, the Ministry has written to all VCs to implement the decision on a priority and to furnish an action taken report to the Ministry," she said.
The minister said a task force, constituted under the chairmanship of Sanjay G.Dhande to recommend measures for alleviating shortage of qualified faculty in July 2011, had said that shortage of qualified faculty in state and central universities was to the extend of roughly 40 and 35 per cent respectively.
The shortage was to the extent of 25 per cent and 40 per cent in deemed universities and affiliated colleges, the Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you