UGC asks universities to fill vacant posts of teachers
New Delhi: UGC has asked all central universities to identify reasons for teaching posts lying vacant and make concerted efforts to fill them up, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Monday.
Out of the 16,692 sanctioned post, 6251 teaching posts are lying vacant.
"UGC recently wrote to all central universities to give topmost priority for identifying the causes for the vacancies and make concerted efforts to fill up the vacancies as per UGC norms, at an early date to ensure that the teaching work of the university is not affected," HRD Minister Smriti Irani said in a written reply.
The issue was also discussed prominently in the conference of the vice chancellors of central universities on February 6 and 7 under the chairmanship of the President, in which they were exhorted to fill up the vacancies in a timebound manner.
"As a follow-up, the Ministry has written to all VCs to implement the decision on a priority and to furnish an action taken report to the Ministry," she said.
The minister said a task force, constituted under the chairmanship of Sanjay G.Dhande to recommend measures for alleviating shortage of qualified faculty in July 2011, had said that shortage of qualified faculty in state and central universities was to the extend of roughly 40 and 35 per cent respectively.
The shortage was to the extent of 25 per cent and 40 per cent in deemed universities and affiliated colleges, the Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Philippines police chief says 300 officers involved in drugs
- Nissan may introduce electric sports car by 2020
- PM Modi condoles former Singapore President Nathan's death
- No. 1 in Tests: Pakistan cricket team's rise completes journey from isolation to triumph
- Oh fresh! Check out Ranveer Singh, Vaani Kapoor's chemistry in this latest still from 'Befikre'