UGC directive on campus security measures for women
New Delhi: In the backdrop of the Delhi gang-rape incident, UGC has directed all institutions of higher learning to review and strengthen security measures for women and girls in their campuses.
In a letter to the vice chancellors and directors of institutes of higher learning in the country, UGC acting chairman Ved Prakash also expressed the need for gender sensitisation courses in the education system.
"I take this opportunity to request you to seriously review the security arrangements for girls and women in our university campuses and wherever necessary, these arrangements may be further strengthened both in and around the girl`s hostels on the campuses," he wrote in the letter.
Prakash also said that the measures are necessary to ensure that girls and women have a safe and inspiring learning environment in the campuses.
He highlighted the need for safe and secure working environment to women in the colleges and educational institutions.
"There is a need to ensure safe working environment for the women employees in the offices for their academic and professional responsibilities," Prakash said.
He also suggested putting in place a task force to review the existing arrangement.
"You may consider putting in place a dedicated task force comprising senior colleagues, which can constantly monitor the existing arrangements and the additional ones put into operation," he said.
On including gender sensitisation modules in the courses, Prakash said, there is a need to have gender sensitisation modules in curricular areas of higher education.
"Periodic discourse on such concerns among faculty and students in which girls and women could be an integral part, can probably lay the foundation for the creation of healthy mindsets," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH