UGC makes new rules for student-teacher ratio at varsities
New Delhi: All Central Universities and
Deemed to be Universities will need to have at least one
teacher for every 10 students for their post-graduate
programmes in science and one for every 25 students at the
undergraduate level, as per new regulations of the UGC.
The UGC regulations prescribe a varied set of required
teacher-student ratio for different streams of studies in
addition to laying down strictures that the workload of the
teacher should not be less than 40 hours a week for 30 working
weeks in an academic year.
The new regulations were adopted on recommendations of
a committee led by Prof J A K Tareen, former member of the
University Grants Commission and Vice Chancellor Puducherry
The committee had said uniform norms for student-teacher
ratio were difficult to arrive at as various factors,
including enrollment at different levels and specialisations
For PG programmes, the new regulations make it mandatory
for Universities to have at least one teacher for every 10
students for science, and media and mass communication
studies, and one teacher for every 15 pupils for humanities,
social sciences each as well as for commerce and management.
The Under Graduate programmes will need to have at least
one pedagogue for every 15 students in the media and
mass communication departments, while the teacher-student
ratio should be 1:30 for social sciences and 1:25 for the
Norms laid down earlier for teachers` workload require
16 hours of direct teaching for lecturers and senior lecturers
and 14 hours for readers and professors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demand ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!