UGC norms link promotion to output; seniority not a factor
New Delhi: The University Grants Commission
(UGC) on Saturday approved a new regulation which links promotion of
university and college teachers to their output in research
and teaching rather than years of experience, a move that
prompted a teachers` body to launch strike.
The Regulation for Minimum Qualification of Teachers was
accepted by the Commission and will be sent to the government
for concurrence, sources said.
Teachers’ associations have been opposing the move to
quantify their output and link it to promotion.
"The output of the teachers will be quantified and they
will be awarded marks as per their works in research,
teaching, publication and other curricular activities," a UGC
The new regulation, which will be now sent to the HRD
Ministry, will come into effect after its approval.
Unhappy over the provisions in the regulation, members of
Federation of College and University Teachers` Association
(FEDCUTA) went on a hunger strike and demanded changes in it.
The regulation would deflect teachers` attention from
their primary responsibility of teaching, FEDCUTA claimed.
"The UGC Committee has given weightage to activities such
as campus development, institutional governance and
consultancy projects which are not under control of teachers
and which solely depend upon administrators` discretion,"
FEDCUTA president AN Mishra said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!