UGC recognised varsities to have grievance redressal mechanism
New Delhi: Every university and institute recognised by the UGC will have to set up a grievance redressal mechanism where students can lodge their complaints on matters related to admissions, irregularities, victimisation and sexual harassment.
The University Grants Commission on Wednesday published a gazette notification about the UGC (Grievance Redressal) Regulations, 2012 which also seeks to set up an ombudsman for redressal of grievances of students.
The regulations stipulates every higher education institution for mandatory publication of prospectus, it content and pricing, each component of the tuition fee and number of seats approved for each course and programme.
Significantly, the regulations comes even as a number of legislations related to reforms in higher education -- some of which seeks to achieve the above said purpose -- are stuck in Parliament for over two years now.
The regulations calls for setting up of grievance redressal committee, which would be constituted by Vice- Chancellor of an affiliated university and comprise of senior professor as its chairman and three senior teachers drawn from affiliating colleges on rotation basis.
The redressal mechanism would act as a platform where a student can not only lodge complaints against any irregularities in admission process, withhold or refusal to return any document or certificates, but can also lodge complaints of harassment and victimisation including sexual harassment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report