UIDAI plans to use `Aadhaar` number to improve PDS
New Delhi: UIDAI has come out with a working
paper on the role of `Aadhaar` (unique identification) number
in Public Distribution System, which envisions to change the
way the present system works.
It outlines how the 12-digit `Aadhaar` number can be
leveraged to make the PDS more efficient and transparent.
The authority said it recognises that implementing the
Right to Food is a priority today for the Indian government
and the functioning of the PDS- the mainstay of India`s food
programs- is critical to the implementation of Right to Food
It said the government and the Department of Food and
Public Distribution have pinpointed critical aspects of the
PDS that need reform and for the program to function more
The paper said `Aadhar` would address the critical
aspects by exclusion of errors, diversions and leakages,
managing foodgrain storage and ensuring timely distribution,
effective accountability and monitoring and enabling community
monitoring, mechanisms for grievance redressal and ensuring
"Aadhaar enables remote, online biometric and demographic
authentication of identity. Such Aadhaar-based authentication
can take place in real time, and can even be performed through
a mobile phone. Using Aadhaar for real-time identity
verification at the Fair Price Shops (FPS), when beneficiaries
collect their entitlements, will help governments verify that
the benefits reached the person they were meant for," it said.
It added, one challenge would be to ensure that such
authentication is carried out at the FPS and that the
government can ensure that Aadhaar-based authentication is
implemented by the FPS owner by linking future FPS allocations
to authenticated off-take by beneficiaries.
The Authority said implementing such authentication
while leveraging the portability of `Aadhaar` can bring
"Today, beneficiaries in a particular block or district
can collect their rations only from their allotted ration
shop. However, since the Aadhaar would be recognised across
ration outlets, the number would help residents collect
entitlements from any FPS within the state.
"Governments would then replenish FPS stocks based
on authentication-linked off-take, which would give them
real-time information on how many beneficiaries collected
their entitlements from which outlet," the paper said.
It said these two aspects of the Aadhaar-enabled system
”linking grain allocation to authenticated off-take and choice
of FPS for the beneficiary” would enable a significant shift
from the present approach, where foodgrain allocations within
the PDS are static, supply-led and divorced from beneficiary
demand and choice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks