UIDAI targets to enrol 40 cr people for Aadhar cards: Nilekani
Hyderabad: Having enrolled a population of 20 crore for the unique identity Aadhaar cards across the country in the last couple of years, the Unique Identification Authority of India now targets to enrol another 40 crore in the next couple of years.
"We have enrolled 20 crore so far. We have been given a mandate to enrol another 40 crore, which we hope to do in the next couple of years. Along with that the National Population Registry (NPR) will also do the enrolment and cover the rest of the population," UIDAI Chairman Nandan Nilekani said here on Tuesday.
He expressed hope that in a "reasonable amount of time" they should be able to cover the entire country.
The UIDAI was working very closely with the Registrar General of India in this regard, Nilekani told mediapersons after a high-level meeting with Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy here today.
"Both Aadhaar and NPR are complementary...Both processes are working together on this. NPR is mandatory while Aadhaar is voluntary. However, if you enrol through NPR you will also get Aadhaar. Now everything is properly aligned," he added.
He said a series of Permanent Update Centres would be set up for carrying out corrections in the Aadhaar cards and the UIADI was working with the state governments on it.
On the delay in delivery of Aadhaar cards, Nilekani said there was a challenge earlier because of some time lag. "But we have caught up in the last couple of months," he said.
He cited AP`s case where 4.32 crore cards have already been delivered out of the 4.5 crore generated.
Incidentally, AP was leading all the states in the country in Aadhaar enrolment with 5 out of 20 crore so far. "We have re-started the process (of enrolment)...We will go full speed and our goal is that in the next few months it should be fully saturated. We have to get our full speed up but we hope to do that very soon," Nilekani added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check