UK: 11 Indians held without valid visa
London: Eleven Indian citizens, who had either overstayed visas or entered Britain illegally, have been arrested following a check of two overcrowded vehicles in Lincolnshire.
They have been held in immigration detention centres pending their removal from the country.
Official sources said the check was conducted following receipt of intelligence by a team that included the Lincolnshire police, Gangmasters licensing Authority (GLA) and UK Border Agency outside Grantham, Lincolnshire.
After checking the immigration status of all occupants of the vehicles, and using fingerprint scanners to confirm identities in some cases, 11 Indian nationals who had either overstayed visas or entered the UK illegally were found.
One Pakistani man was also identified as being in the country illegally.
The agencies involved in the operation on May 17 suspect that the men were travelling to work on a farm in Lincolnshire, without having permission to work in the UK.
Both vehicles were severely overcrowded, placing the safety of the occupants at risk, and breaching transport regulations.
This was brought to the attention of the GLA as a critical breach of their licensing conditions, the sources said.
Rachel Challis, from the agency`s Lincolnshire local immigration team, said: "We are cracking down on immigration abuse across the county. Any foreign national who is in the UK illegally should be in no doubt that they will be found, arrested and removed from the country. Businesses that take on illegal workers should also be warned that they face heavy fines and possible prosecution."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj