UK administration drops only Indian origin member
London: The only Indian origin member of the British administration, Shailesh Vara, has been dropped in a reshuffle by Prime Minister David Cameron.
The last week`s development has shocked the Indian community in the UK, who were expecting Vara, who was holding a rather junior position of assistant government whip, to be promoted.
Cameron`s decision flies in the face of his recent speech at a Conservative Friends of India meeting in which he said: "When I look at the talent behind me I think we (the Conservatives) are going to be the first party to have a British Indian prime minister."
The two million people of Indian descent constitute the single largest ethnic minority group in Britain.
Yet, it has no representation in government, despite there being four Indian-origin Conservative MPs.
Vara, who sacrificed a promising solicitor`s career, was re-elected to the House of Commons from his Cambridgeshire constituency in 2010 with an increased majority.
He commanded more than 50 percent of the votes; and is the senior most of the Indian MPs.
After the Labour party lost and the Conservatives formed a coalition with Liberal Democrats two years ago, it was widely expected that Vara would at least be made a middle ranking minister of state.
Far from this, he has now been omitted from a government post altogether.
President of the Indian Overseas Congress, DL Kalhan, said "it is unfortunate that in spite of his good work Sailesh Vara has been dropped from the ministry."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks