UK Deputy PM Clegg to meet PM Narendra Modi, Arun Jaitley on India visit
London: British Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg is scheduled to hold meetings with Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Finance and Defence Minister Arun Jaitley during his first-ever tour to India from Monday.
The three-city visit starts in Delhi, where Clegg is also scheduled to lay a wreath at India Gate in memory of Indian soldiers, then moves to Mumbai on Tuesday and ends in Bangalore on Wednesday.
Clegg, leader of the UK coalition partner Liberal Democrats, will be leading a 50-strong trade delegation to promote investment in three key focus sectors of education, food and retail, and defence and aerospace.
"This will be the largest business delegation led by a senior member of this coalition government to India since the election of Prime Minister Modi," Clegg said of his upcoming three-day tour which is his first-ever visit to India.
"I lead a number of trade delegations around the world but this will certainly rank among the most important I have ever undertaken during my time as Deputy Prime Minister because of the warmth of the relationship between our two nations and the intimacy with which we know each other and also because of the huge potential to build on that familiarity," he added.
Clegg also promised to listen to any grievances around the UK`s stringent student visa norms.
He said, "There has been a fair amount of controversy, polemic and misapprehension about some of the recent visa changes as far as the access granted to Indian students. And I am going with one simple unambiguous message: you are welcome.”
"I will listen very, very carefully to the objections and the reservations and I will not hesitate to suggest that we should make further changes where they are well-founded."
The business team accompanying Clegg is fronted by NRI lawyer Vijay Goel, chair of the Asian Business Association of the London Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Athlete Dutee Chand qualifies for Rio Olympics in 100m sprint
- Enthusiasm in social networking may earn you a job: ASSOCHAM report
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- Micromax launches Unite 4, Unite 4 pro smartphones
- Football Transfer: Barcelona's Dani Alves undergoes Juventus medical
- Sterling hits 31-year low, gilt yield below 1% for first time ever
- Google Chief Executive Officer Sundar Pichai's Quora account hacked
- Who are potential successors to RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan?