UK Deputy PM Clegg to meet PM Narendra Modi, Arun Jaitley on India visit
London: British Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg is scheduled to hold meetings with Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Finance and Defence Minister Arun Jaitley during his first-ever tour to India from Monday.
The three-city visit starts in Delhi, where Clegg is also scheduled to lay a wreath at India Gate in memory of Indian soldiers, then moves to Mumbai on Tuesday and ends in Bangalore on Wednesday.
Clegg, leader of the UK coalition partner Liberal Democrats, will be leading a 50-strong trade delegation to promote investment in three key focus sectors of education, food and retail, and defence and aerospace.
"This will be the largest business delegation led by a senior member of this coalition government to India since the election of Prime Minister Modi," Clegg said of his upcoming three-day tour which is his first-ever visit to India.
"I lead a number of trade delegations around the world but this will certainly rank among the most important I have ever undertaken during my time as Deputy Prime Minister because of the warmth of the relationship between our two nations and the intimacy with which we know each other and also because of the huge potential to build on that familiarity," he added.
Clegg also promised to listen to any grievances around the UK`s stringent student visa norms.
He said, "There has been a fair amount of controversy, polemic and misapprehension about some of the recent visa changes as far as the access granted to Indian students. And I am going with one simple unambiguous message: you are welcome.”
"I will listen very, very carefully to the objections and the reservations and I will not hesitate to suggest that we should make further changes where they are well-founded."
The business team accompanying Clegg is fronted by NRI lawyer Vijay Goel, chair of the Asian Business Association of the London Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’