‘UK drug lord ordered Dey’s murder’
Mumbai: After initially suspecting the underworld to be behind the murder of veteran journalist Jyotirmoy Dey, the Mumbai Police have now started looking into the possible involvement of a UK-based Indian drug lord.
An English daily reported on Thursday that the police believes the drug baron - who is on India’s most wanted list -may have ordered Dey’s murder.
Indian authorities have made consistent efforts to seek extradition of the drug baron but have failed to do so as they do not have a watertight case to present before the UK authorities.
The Police on scrutiny of Dey’s e-mails had found that the journalist had met the drug baron for a story. Dey was Editor (Investigations) at Mid-Day.
As per the report, Dey was in London last month and he could have met the drug lord there. They also believe the journalist, who covered the underworld like no one else, was on the verge of exposing a major drug racket.
The Mumbai Police have been facing flak for not being able to crack the sensational case. They had earlier detained three suspects, who were subsequently released after questioning.
The Bombay High Court has asked the police to present a report on July 6 on the status of investigation. The court observed that police needed more time before a decision could be taken on transferring the case to the Central Bureau of Investigation.
A panel of senior editors from national dailies had also met Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to press for speedy investigation into the case.
Dey (56) was shot dead by four unidentified assailants in the suburban Powai on June 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Russian GP: Nico Rosberg wins seventh race in succession as Lewis Hamilton recovers to second spot
- No need for cash; pay through mobile phone at Café Coffee Day now
- VVIP chopper scam: RSS mouthpiece dares Congress to reveal who's 'Signora Gandhi' mentioned in Italian court
- EPL: Anthony Martial strikes as Manchester United make Leicester City wait for title
- PM Modi visits Varanasi, launches 'e-boats' at Assi Ghat: In Pics