UK for end to external support for J&K violence?
London: Britain on Monday asked Pakistan to take action against militant groups in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) and sought an end to "all external support" for violence in Jammu and Kashmir.
In its annual report on the issue of human rights, titled `Human Rights and Democracy`, the Foreign Office said levels of reported violence in Jammu and Kashmir had been declining since 2008, but noted that India authorities reported continued infiltration across the Line of Control.
The report, released by Foreign Secretary William Hague, said: "We called for an end to all external support for violence in Kashmir. We continue to urge the government of Pakistan to take action against the presence and activities of militant groups in Pakistan-administered Kashmir."
"Levels of reported militant violence in Indian-administered Kashmir have been declining since 2008, but Indian authorities report continued infiltration across the Line of Control," it added.
Officials in the British High Commissions in New Delhi and Islamabad regularly discussed the situation with the Indian and Pakistani governments, "and with our contacts in Indian and Pakistan-administered Kashmir".
"We continue to encourage India and Pakistan to seek a lasting resolution that takes into account the wishes of the Kashmiri people", the report said.
During 2011, the report said that the British High Commission funded an innovative information and communications technology project with the aim of improving coordination and communication between those agencies dealing with the prevention, rescue and rehabilitation of women and children who are victims of trafficking.
"The project has been directly responsible for the rescue of a number of trafficking victims, and the new system is being used by various Indian authorities and civil society," the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30