UK for end to external support for J&K violence?
London: Britain on Monday asked Pakistan to take action against militant groups in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) and sought an end to "all external support" for violence in Jammu and Kashmir.
In its annual report on the issue of human rights, titled `Human Rights and Democracy`, the Foreign Office said levels of reported violence in Jammu and Kashmir had been declining since 2008, but noted that India authorities reported continued infiltration across the Line of Control.
The report, released by Foreign Secretary William Hague, said: "We called for an end to all external support for violence in Kashmir. We continue to urge the government of Pakistan to take action against the presence and activities of militant groups in Pakistan-administered Kashmir."
"Levels of reported militant violence in Indian-administered Kashmir have been declining since 2008, but Indian authorities report continued infiltration across the Line of Control," it added.
Officials in the British High Commissions in New Delhi and Islamabad regularly discussed the situation with the Indian and Pakistani governments, "and with our contacts in Indian and Pakistan-administered Kashmir".
"We continue to encourage India and Pakistan to seek a lasting resolution that takes into account the wishes of the Kashmiri people", the report said.
During 2011, the report said that the British High Commission funded an innovative information and communications technology project with the aim of improving coordination and communication between those agencies dealing with the prevention, rescue and rehabilitation of women and children who are victims of trafficking.
"The project has been directly responsible for the rescue of a number of trafficking victims, and the new system is being used by various Indian authorities and civil society," the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- WATCH: Usain Bolt attempted javelin throw at Rio 2016 - His effort will shock you!
- Kareena Kapoor Khan opens up on her pregnancy, says she is proud of it!
- PHOTO (Inside): Not for the faint-hearted! Saina Nehwal shares image of her knee's broken bone
- 'Domestic airfares to decline at lower rate in Q2'
- US, Ukraine to conduct observation flights over Russia