UK giving wide publicity to trace missing student: Minister
Bangalore: The Government has been giving wide publicity to trace the missing Indian student Souvik Pal, British Health Minister Anna Soubry on Wednesday said, promising to raise the issue in the British Parliament.
"My heart goes out for them (parents). I myself have made inquries on Pal. The government is giving wide publicity on the missing person", she told reporters after an interaction with Karnataka Health Minister Aravind Limbavali.
"I will raise the Souvik missing case in British Parliament so that the UK police could trace Souvik and bring him to his parents," she said.
The minister said she would arrange for providing updates on search operation for Souvik, who had gone missing since New Year eve from Manchester.
The updates would be provided to his mother Mahuya Pal and other family members. "The family needs to know what’s happening. It’s very, very important," she said.
The UK minister, who met Mahuya, said it was heartrending to meet the victim`s mother as it has been sixteen days since her son has gone missing.
She also said efforts would be made to give more publicity for the Souvik missing case in the UK media."The British government is for Souvik`s safe and swift return."
Anna said Souvik`s mother met her in the city and promised to arrange for direct interaction between the missing boy`s family and Manchester police.
During the 25-minute meeting with Anna, Mahuya could not control her tears. "It was a good meeting. She listed to me and promised to do her best. It was very positive," she said.
Mahuya urged Anna to raise the issue in British Parliament.
Souvik Pal, a product designing student at Manchester Metropolitan University, went missing on the night of December 31, while attending a new year party and was last seen leaving the party venue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka