UK likely to cut foreign aid to `rich` India
London: Britain may scale down the 250 million-pound aid given to India annually, saying wealthy local people could do more to help their poor countrymen.
Andrew Mitchell, the International Development Secretary, signalled that the "250 million pounds of public money spent annually in nuclear armed India could be scaled back."
He said the rich NRI population of Britain could do more to help their countrymen.
Besides, the 40 million pounds spent by the Department for International Development (DFID) in Vietnam, now regarded as an Asian "tiger" economy, will be axed.
It follows the disclosure that development funding to China and Russia would be withdrawn.
Mitchell told The Sunday Times: "India is more complex and more difficult than China. But this is a (aid) programme I am looking at in detail."
He defended the government`s decision to ring-fence overseas aid while most other departments face savage cuts.
Last month, Britain, shocked by reports of massive embezzlement in India in the use of millions of pounds granted as aid for education, promised "zero tolerance to corruption"
and launched an "immediate inquiry".
Mitchell had then said in a statement to a news agency that the allegations reported from India about widespread corruption in the use of British aid were "shocking".
"These are shocking allegations. I have launched an immediate inquiry to ensure British aid money has not been misused. The new British Government will have a zero tolerance
policy to corruption," he had said.
"When I took up this job ... I made a pledge to British taxpayers; they must know that for every pound of their money, we will get 100 pence of value."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof