UK stabbing: Govt offers help to Indian student
New Delhi: A day after an Indian student was stabbed in the London borough of Newham, the government on Saturday offered full assistance to the victim’s family.
According to reports, External Affairs Minister SM Krishna spoke to the acting High Commissioner Rajesh Prasad, asking him to extend all possible help to him.
Krishna also spoke to Andhra Pradesh-based businessman Sudhakar Reddy, father of the stabbed student, Praveen, assuring him of all help in getting visa, official sources in New Delhi said.
They also said that High Commission officials in the UK were coordinating with the doctors treating Praveen and MEA officials in Delhi will take up the matter with the British High Commission to ensure expeditious issuance of the visa to his parents.
Praveen Reddy was enrolled for an MBA at the London Business School.
Meanwhile, Scotland Yard have arrested eleven people in connection with the stabbing incident.
"Police called at 08.23 on Friday, 10 February to Newham General Hospital after a man in his 20`s was admitted suffering from stab wounds. He is currently in hospital in a critical condition," Scotland Yard said in a statement.
“Four of the arrested are in custody. The other seven have been bailed until future dates. Detectives from Newham Borough are investigating," it added.
This is the fourth attack on Indians in the last two months. Earlier three incidents were fatal.
In the earlier incidents, 23-year-old Anuj Bidve was shot dead in Greater Manchester in Salford on December 26. The UK Police also confirmed on January 10, the death of 20-year-old student Gurdeep Hayer in Manchester city centre. This was followed by the murder of Avatar Singh Kolar, 62, and his British wife Carole Kolar, 58, in Birmingham on January 11.
With Agency Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre