U`khand floods: Body of ITBP Inspector reaches home, last rites on Saturday
Jammu: A pall of gloom descended on border village of Bobiya in Kathua district, as the mortal remains of ITBP Inspector Bhim Singh, who lost his life during the rescue operations in Uttarakhand, were brought to his native village this evening.
The body of the deceased soldier reached at Jammu Airport at around 7 pm and from there it was taken to his native place in Kathua by road, SSP Jammu, Atul Goel, said.
The 45-year-old ITBP officer was among 20 personnel and crew killed in a helicopter crash during rescue mission in Uttarakhand on Tuesday.
The cremation will take place tomorrow, added SP Kathua, Mohan Lal while confirming that the body of the deceased ITBP Inspector has reached at his village.
Singh is survived by his wife Renu, two daughters and a son.
Singh along with five other ITBP policemen and nine National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) was on board Russian-made Mi-17V5 helicopter of the Indian Air Force, which crashed in a narrow valley in the flood-ravaged hill state.
The chopper also carried five IAF personnel.
"Just a few days back he told me over phone about his posting in the rescue party and today we have heard the sad news of his demise...It is shocking," Bhim Singh`s elder brother, Balwant Singh said.
Singh was posted in Ladakh and had been recently transferred to Noida, said grief-stricken Balwant.
"Just four months back we were celebrating his promotion as Inspector... It is really unbelievable," he added.
"He was a brave soldier and he has done all of us proud," said his uncle, Tirth Singh.
Earlier, Bhim Singh along with 19 others, who lost their lives during the rescue operation, were given guard of honour at Dehradun today in presence of Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna and Army Chief General Bikram Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling
- Facebook, Twitter, Google failed to tackle terrorism: Panel
- Conversion of forest land the reason behind weakening of monsoon: Research
- Italy earthquake death toll rises to 247 as rescuers desperately search for survivors