ULFA anti-talk faction not to support ongoing talks
Guwahati: The anti-talk faction of the ULFA,
led by its `Commander-in-Chief` Paresh Barua, said on Sunday that it
would not support the ongoing talk process initiated by a
section of the outfit with the government.
"We have already apprised the people of Assam that we will
not compromise on the issue of Assam`s sovereignty and the
question of supporting the talks does not arise", anti-talk
faction publicity in-charge Arunodoy Dohotiya said.
He claimed that ULFA Chairman Arabinda Rajkhowa and other
leaders had to sit for the talks since they were now under the
control of the "enemy camp".
The anti-talk faction had also issued a statement on Saturday threatening armed struggle and appealing to people
to boycott meetings organised by Congress ministers,
legislators and other leaders.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has, however, downplayed the
threats to the Congress issued by the outfit`s Paresh Barua
faction ahead of Assam Assembly polls and asserted that peace
talks with the ULFA held a "good future".
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, however, said he was not
bothered about Barua`s statement and his threat to launch
"They are always giving threats. There is nothing new in
it and we are not bothered", Gogoi said.
Assam government spokesman Himanta Biswa Sarma said Barua
should follow the path of Rajkhowa and join talks to ensure
that peace returned to the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Pakistan needs to actively pursue terrorist organisations using their soil, says US
- PSEB 10th result 2016: Tarn Taran girl Simrandeep Kaur tops Punjab School Education Board 10th result with 99.08%
- Check Biharboard.bih.nic.in & Biharboard.ac.in for BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12th XII Intermediate Arts Result 2016 to be announced today - just an hour to go
- When Rajiv Gandhi explained features of a new Indian Navy ship to his parents-in-law
- Congolese's murder: VK Singh deputed to allay African envoys' concerns