ULFA anti-talk faction supports Maoists
Guwahati: ULFA`s anti-talk faction Thursday extended "moral support" to the Maoists and condemned the killing of four ultras at Sadiya in Assam`s Tinsukia district.
ULFA Commander-in-Chief Paresh Barua in a statement e-mailed to PTI said, "We extend full moral support to the Maoists in their struggle to establish a just and fair social structure in Assam".
"The rise of the Maoists can be attributed to the aspirations of the common man to lead a life of dignity and we foresee its influence extending more in Assam," he said.
The ULFA leader also alleged that the Centre was practising double standards in dealing with the Maoists in different parts of the country.
"The Centre had entered into agreements with the Maoists in Odisha and Chattisgarh releasing their jailed leaders in exchange for release of abducted prominent personalities, but in Assam the security forces were killing innocent activists at the behest of the Centre," Barua alleged.
The statement noted that everybody has the right to protest and "we, too, condemn the killings and offer our heart-felt condolences to their bereaved families".
Four Maoist activists of the armed wing were killed in an encounter with the Assam police at Sadiya along the Assam-Arunachal border yesterday.
Intelligence sources said the Maoists had formed their armed wing recently at Sadiya in Upper Assam, considered its base, and were active along the Assam-Arunachal Pradesh border with efforts to form an armed wing in Lower Assam too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- LIVE: Pakistan's nuclear weapons may fall into hands of jihadists, fears Hillary Clinton
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’