ULFA chief Arabinda Rajkhowa granted bail
Guwahati: ULFA chairman Arabinda Rajkhowa was on Thursday granted bail by a special TADA court here after the state government decided not to oppose his bail application as a part of its policy to take the peace process forward.
His release is considered as a very important development towards bringing back peace to Assam. However, it remains to be seen, whether Rajakhowa, who commands tremendous respect among the ULFA cadres, will take that extra step to meet the government halfway over contentious issues.
Importantly, most top ULFA leaders including ideologue Bhimakanta Buragohain alias `Mama`, vice-chairman Pradip Gogoi, `publicity secretary` Mithinga Daimary, `cultural secretary` Pranati Deka and `deputy commander-in-chief` Raju Barua have been already released on bail
His bail plea was heard by the special court today after being deferred thrice earlier as the court had sought reports from the home and political department in this regard.
Moreover, to facilitate Rajkhowa’s immediate release, the Gauhati High Court had, earlier this week, granted him and the outfit`s `Finance` Secretary Chitrabon Hazarika bail in another case related lodged under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
Rajkhowa is likely to be
released from jail tomorrow.
After his release, he will go to his hometown in
Lakhuwa in upper Assam after over 30 years since he went
underground after the formation of the ULFA on April 7, 1979.
He was arrested after being handed over by the
Bangladesh authorities in November last year at the Meghalaya
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents