ULFA chief to be produced in court
Guwahati: Arrested chairman of the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA), Arabinda Rajkhowa, the deputy commander-in-chief of the outfit Raju Baruah, and Rajkhowa`s personal security guard Raja Bora would be produced in a local court here on Saturday, police said.
"We would seek 14 days’ police remand of the three arrested ULFA members before the Chief Judicial Magistrate`s court," a senior Assam police officer said.
On Friday, the ULFA chairman led a dramatic surrender before Indian authorities at Dawki in Meghalaya.
Among those who surrendered include Rajkhowa, his wife Kaveri and two children, Raju Baruah, his wife and one child, Raja Bora, and the wife of ULFA foreign secretary Sasha Choudhury and their son.
The surrendered ULFA leaders and their family members were brought to Guwahati by a helicopter and lodged at the fourth Assam Police Battalion headquarters in the city.
The wives and children who surrendered were not arrested and no charges were framed against them, another police officer said.
"Family members of Arabinda Rajkhowa and Raju Baruah (deputy commander-in-chief) have approached us for legal help and we are providing them legal assistance," Bijon Mahajan, a senior lawyer in Guwahati, said.
A senior police officer who met the ULFA leaders at the police guest house Friday described the ULFA chairman as a "highly composed and calm" person.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi welcomed the surrender and said the decision by Rajkhowa to come out could pave the way for lasting peace in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Yuvraj Singh trolls R Ashwin for photobombing his picture with Virat Kohli – See pic!