ULFA chief to be produced in court
Guwahati: Arrested chairman of the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA), Arabinda Rajkhowa, the deputy commander-in-chief of the outfit Raju Baruah, and Rajkhowa`s personal security guard Raja Bora would be produced in a local court here on Saturday, police said.
"We would seek 14 days’ police remand of the three arrested ULFA members before the Chief Judicial Magistrate`s court," a senior Assam police officer said.
On Friday, the ULFA chairman led a dramatic surrender before Indian authorities at Dawki in Meghalaya.
Among those who surrendered include Rajkhowa, his wife Kaveri and two children, Raju Baruah, his wife and one child, Raja Bora, and the wife of ULFA foreign secretary Sasha Choudhury and their son.
The surrendered ULFA leaders and their family members were brought to Guwahati by a helicopter and lodged at the fourth Assam Police Battalion headquarters in the city.
The wives and children who surrendered were not arrested and no charges were framed against them, another police officer said.
"Family members of Arabinda Rajkhowa and Raju Baruah (deputy commander-in-chief) have approached us for legal help and we are providing them legal assistance," Bijon Mahajan, a senior lawyer in Guwahati, said.
A senior police officer who met the ULFA leaders at the police guest house Friday described the ULFA chairman as a "highly composed and calm" person.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi welcomed the surrender and said the decision by Rajkhowa to come out could pave the way for lasting peace in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown