This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

ULFA leader, Bijoy Chinese comes overground

Last Updated: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 21:23

Tinsukia/Guwahati: Bijoy Chinese, a top ULFA leader and a trusted lieutenant of its `military chief` Paresh Baruah, has come overground and has expressed support for peace talks.

Official sources said ULFA (anti-talk faction) `eastern zone commander` Bijoy Chinese had got in touch with police in Tinsukia and was being brought to Guwahati on Thursday.

"I support peace talks between ULFA, the government and the pro-talk group. That is why I have come to participate in the talks...I have come back to the mainstream," the dreaded insurgent told reporters while being brought to the Assam capital.

On the elusive `c-in-c` Paresh Baruah, who is allegedly in Myanmar, joining the peace process, the 50-year old insurgent said, "I don`t know what is the latest position. I am sure they will come. I will tell you all everything later."

"I appeal the others in ULFA (opposing the peace process) to also come forward in support of the parleys," he said.

Asked if other members of the proscribed outfit were with him, Bijoy said, "I came with some others. Now I am alone ... others will also come".

On the strength of the Paresh Baruah faction, he said there are about 150 cadres and 30 senior leaders.

Meanwhile, the ULFA anti-talk faction in an e-mail to PTI said Bijoy had taken the decision to come overground for his personal and family reasons.

"We welcome his decision. We wish him well in the future with good health," the e-mail said.

ULFA publicity secretary Arun Udoy Asom said in the e-mail that Bijoy had not surrendered and had not handed over any ULFA property to the security forces.

"By giving up the path of agitation (militancy) Bijoy has caused no loss to the ULFA," he said.

Bijoy `Chinese` Das, was earlier commander of the outfit`s elite strike force 28th battalion, which has now been disbanded.

Hailing from Tamulpur in Nalbari district, he had joined ULFA in 1989 and received his first training in insurgency in Myanmar, official sources said.

Another anti-talk faction senior dreaded leader Guli Asom alias Rahendra Moran had surrendered to the police in Tinsukia in December last year.


First Published: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 21:23
comments powered by Disqus