ULFA pro-talk faction leaves for Delhi for talks
Guwahati: A five-member delegation of the pro-talk faction of United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) leaders led by its chairman Arabinda Rajkhowa left for New Delhi Sunday to hold the third round of talks with the central government Monday.
Besides Rajkhowa, other members of the delegation are Raju Baruah, Chitraban Hazarika, Pranati Deka and Mithinga Daimary.
The delegation is likely to meet Union Home Secretary RK Singh and other senior home ministry officials.
"We are going to hold discussions on various issues and problems of the state. The rights of indigenous people, the right of people over land and resources, constitutional safeguards and the issue of securing the very existence of the Assamese people - we are going to raise all these issues before the central government," said Arabinda Rajkhowa.
The pro-talk faction of the outfit which had been holding talks with the Government of India since last year to bring lasting peace to the state, had already submitted a 12-point charter of demands to the Government of India.
Although the leaders of the pro-talk faction refused to divulge details about the scheduled meeting Monday, the meet is also likely to discuss certain `crucial` points from the 12-point charter of demands, for the fulfillment of which the Constitution needs to be amended.
The last round of talks between the pro-talk facion of the outfit and the central government was held on October 25 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened