Uma Bharti praises Chouhan, says MP ahead of Gujarat
Bhopal: Claiming that Madhya Pradesh was "ahead of Gujarat" in development, BJP Vice President Uma Bharti on Monday said the party would add to its tally in this year`s assembly elections under leadership of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
In the past, Bharti had bitterly resented elevation of Chouhan as Chief Minister and had left the party in a huff eight years ago.
Bharti and other newly-appointed members of BJP`s national team from Madhya Pradesh were today welcomed at a function at the party office.
She recalled her close association with senior BJP leaders such as Vijayaraje Scindia and other "mentors".
"I may have left the building, but I was never emotionally away from the BJP`s ideology of Ram and Hindutva," she said.
Praising Chouhan for taking MP ahead of other states, she said: "Under Chouhan`s leadership, Madhya Pradesh is even ahead of Gujarat, because the states which have no ports have lot of difficulties in achieving development, compared to those which have ports and which are on country`s border.
"Despite Madhya Pradesh being a land-locked state, it has progressed tremendously under Chouhan with its GSDP growth at 12 per cent and agriculture growth at 18 per cent which are no mean achievements," she said today.
She said, "I am sure Chouhan, on his own, would easily win 150 seats in Madhya Pradesh and it is now our responsibility to add to it. The BJP would definitely win 25-30 per cent more seats this time."
Bharti said she had decimated Congress in 2003 and "in
2008 its last rites took place. In 2013, I am sure its pind-daan` (rituals after cremation) will be performed."
She also said that Assembly election was not a major challenge, but party workers would have to ensure that BJP-led NDA came to power at the Centre in 2014 as people were fed up with the UPA government`s misrule on all fronts.
Welcoming Bharti and others, Chouhan thanked the central BJP leadership for accommodating largest chunk of leaders from Madhya Pradesh in the national body.
He also spoke about welfare schemes of his government and indicated that if the circumstances permitted, government could launch a scheme to provide month`s ration at the cost of a day`s labour.
Another newly-appointed vice president from MP, Prabhat Jha, said though Bharti was currently an MLA from Uttar Pradesh, the people of MP would need her more.
BJP`s Parliamentary Board member and fourth-term General Secretary Thawarchand Gehlot said that though he was in the Board for quite a long time, people came to know about its importance only after Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s name figured in it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow