UN chief asks India, Pakistan to resolve issues through dialogue
United Nations: UN chief Ban Ki-moon has asked India and Pakistan to resolve their issues peacefully and through dialogue, against the backdrop of cancellation of foreign-secretary level talks between the two nations and continued ceasefire violations by Pakistan along border posts.
"The Secretary-General calls on both sides to solve the issues peacefully and through dialogue," according to a statement given to PTI from the office of Ban`s spokesperson in response to questions about the cancellation of the talks and ceasefire violations.
The statement did not respond to a question whether the UN chief would intervene in the tensed situation and encourage the leaders from the two countries to meet.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s government cancelled the August 25 meeting scheduled in Islamabad between the foreign secretaries after Pakistan`s High Commissioner to India Abdul Basit held talks with Kashmiri separatist leaders.
Also, ceasefire violations by Pakistani forces along the Line of Control and the International Border have increased over the last few weeks.
There have been 21 ceasefire violations by Pakistani troops in less than a fortnight and 23 in August.
Defence Minister Arun Jaitley has said in New Delhi that India has been responding effectively and strongly to the ceasefire violations by Pakistan side.
India has also further strengthened its counter infiltration grid to tackle any attempt by Pakistan to push in militants during the ceasefire violations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre