UN to probe firing at CRPF camp in Liberia
New Delhi: The United Nations has set up a
Board of Enquiry to inquire into the incident of firing on a
CRPF camp in Liberia allegedly by a Pakistani Army officer.
According to CRPF officials, a Pakistani officer had
allegedly fired at a CRPF camp, which is part of the UN
Peacekeeping Mission in violence-hit Liberia, on June 8
leaving a civilian seriously injured. The camp has 125
personnel of the paramilitary force.
"There was some damage to property. Fortunately, no
injuries were sustained by any of our personnel. UN has begun
investigation in the matter and a Board of Enquiry has been
set up," a statement released by CRPF said.
The incident took place in Zwedru, the capital of Grand
Gedeh County, one of the 15 counties in the West African
country of Liberia.
According to CRPF officials, the incident happened when
constables Jeet Singh and Kaptan Singh were manning the sentry
post made of mud and bamboo.
"Suddenly there was indiscriminate firing from outside
the camp. The firing ended after a while. On check, we found a
civilian severely injured and admitted him to hospital. We
also found one rifle, three magazines, 32 live rounds and 20
empty cases in front of the camp," an official said.
An initial inquiry conducted by the Regional Commandant,
UN Mission in Liberia Ben Wilson and others, found that the G3
rifle was issued to a Pakistani officer, Lt Murad, officials
said. The officer belonged to a Pakistan battalion also posted
Meanwhile, in a separate and unrelated incident, a
constable posted in the town of Monrovia in Liberia, where
also an Indian Formed Police Unit (FPU) is stationed, died in
"An officer (Dinesh Kumar Pandey) who was manning traffic
was hit by a speeding vehicle in the night of May 30. He
sustained serious skull injuries and was evacuated to Ghana
for treatment, where he expired on June 5. His mortal remains
were brought back to India on June 10," CRPF said in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL