UN to probe firing at CRPF camp in Liberia
New Delhi: The United Nations has set up a
Board of Enquiry to inquire into the incident of firing on a
CRPF camp in Liberia allegedly by a Pakistani Army officer.
According to CRPF officials, a Pakistani officer had
allegedly fired at a CRPF camp, which is part of the UN
Peacekeeping Mission in violence-hit Liberia, on June 8
leaving a civilian seriously injured. The camp has 125
personnel of the paramilitary force.
"There was some damage to property. Fortunately, no
injuries were sustained by any of our personnel. UN has begun
investigation in the matter and a Board of Enquiry has been
set up," a statement released by CRPF said.
The incident took place in Zwedru, the capital of Grand
Gedeh County, one of the 15 counties in the West African
country of Liberia.
According to CRPF officials, the incident happened when
constables Jeet Singh and Kaptan Singh were manning the sentry
post made of mud and bamboo.
"Suddenly there was indiscriminate firing from outside
the camp. The firing ended after a while. On check, we found a
civilian severely injured and admitted him to hospital. We
also found one rifle, three magazines, 32 live rounds and 20
empty cases in front of the camp," an official said.
An initial inquiry conducted by the Regional Commandant,
UN Mission in Liberia Ben Wilson and others, found that the G3
rifle was issued to a Pakistani officer, Lt Murad, officials
said. The officer belonged to a Pakistan battalion also posted
Meanwhile, in a separate and unrelated incident, a
constable posted in the town of Monrovia in Liberia, where
also an Indian Formed Police Unit (FPU) is stationed, died in
"An officer (Dinesh Kumar Pandey) who was manning traffic
was hit by a speeding vehicle in the night of May 30. He
sustained serious skull injuries and was evacuated to Ghana
for treatment, where he expired on June 5. His mortal remains
were brought back to India on June 10," CRPF said in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH