UN welcomes India`s food security ordinance
New Delhi: The UN Thursday welcomed the Indian government`s food security ordinance, saying it showed that the issue of hunger was being taken "seriously".
"By legislating food security, the Indian government is making a commitment to the people. It is a sign that the issue is being taken seriously," UN special rapporteur on food Olivier De Schutter said at a press conference here.
"What makes me hopeful is that we have willingness to make a firm commitment to the issue of hunger," he said.
Cautioning any country against weighing the costs of addressing hunger, the senior UN official said: "How about the costs of not helping the poor and not controlling hunger?"
The GDP growth of a country is estimated to be reduced by 4.5 percent by not addressing hunger, he said.
Brushing aside political opposition, the government on Wednesday decided to issue an ordinance to give the nation`s two-thirds population the right to get 5 kg of foodgrains every month at highly subsidised rates of Rs.1-3 per kg.
The food security programme when implemented will be the biggest in the world with the government spending estimated at Rs.125,000 crore annually on supply of about 62 million tonnes of rice, wheat and coarse cereals to 67 percent of the population.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!