Unaccounted assets worth Rs 1400 crore detected
New Delhi: Stepping up its effort to unearth black money, the authorities have detected unaccounted income and assets worth over Rs 1,400 crore during the first three months of this year.
The detection came to light after Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU), an agency tasked with analysing and disseminating information relating to dubious financial transactions, alerted Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) about 32,000 suspicious banking transactions, official sources said.
Further investigations by the tax authorities on these Suspicious Transaction Reports (STRs) resulted in detection of unaccounted income and assets of Rs 1,408 crore, they said.
An STR involves a transaction of Rs 10 lakh and above, which gives rise to a reasonable ground of suspicion that it may involve the proceeds of crime including drug trafficking and illegal money.
As many as 32,098 STRs were sent by the FIU to CBDT, under which Income Tax department functions, between January and March this year. The tax sleuths have also seized assets worth about Rs 21 crore across the country, the sources said.
The CBDT, along with its field formation of tax officials spread across the country, is in the process of concluding the probe on some of these dubious transactions.
Sources said the CBDT is in touch with agencies concerned and state governments to finish its probe in these cases.
These STRs, sent by the FIU, were regarding banking transactions including cash deposits in bank, cheque clearances, inter and intra banking dealings between individuals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan