Unauthorised chit fund activities have to be curbed: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday stressed on curbing unauthorised chit fund activities like the one involving Saradha Group in West Bengal.
"The unauthorised collection of deposits in exchange for the promise that exorbitant rate of return will be given, this is something which has to be curbed," Singh told reporters in the Rashtrapati Bhavan here.
He was responding to media queries on the Saradha chit fund scam which has allegedly defrauded thousands of depositors.
The Central government has already announced an SFIO (Serious Fraud Investigation Office) probe into the functioning of Kolkata-based Saradha Group and other such entities which are involved in chit fund business.
Stock market regulator SEBI is also investigating illegal money-pooling activities of such groups.
The preliminary probe into Saradha Group and other entities show that West Bengal and Northeastern states have become the favourite hunting grounds of companies engaged in illegal money collection activities through chit fund route.
A special task force has been set up under the SFIO to carry out all investigations into such companies, the Corporate Affairs Ministry had said on Thursday.
The probe follows after massive protest against alleged duping of lakhs of investors by Saradha Group through their chit-fund and other money-pooling activities in West Bengal.
The Corporate Affairs Ministry had said the Task Force will coordinate with other law enforcement agencies and regulators wherever required, in its investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Check uaresults.nic.in for Uttarakhand Board Class 12 result 2015