Unauthorised use of beacons, sirens must be dealt with strictly: SC
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Coming down heavily on unauthorised use of sirens and beacons, the Supreme Court on Monday said that such cases should be dealt with strictly. The apex court also added that fines should be imposed on those vehicles which violate the rule, so that an example can be made of them.
The SC also said that only a limited number of people should be allowed to use beacons and sirens on their vehicles and that their use was a `menace` to the society.
"How can citizens be treated differently," a bench of Justices GS Singhvi and V Gopala Gowda said in context to the problems faced by people when VIPs with high security cover move in vehicles with red beacon and siren.
The bench was hearing a PIL filed by a Uttar Pradesh resident on misuse of red beacon.
The apex court had earlier directed the Centre and states to amend the Motor Vehicles Act on April 4 to ensure that the use of red beacons on official vehicles is restricted. The Supreme Court had warned that if Centre fails to come up with a solution, then it will be forced to pass a decision in the matter.
The Road Transport Ministry had objected this and is reportedly in favour of limiting the number of beneficiaries who are entitled to use the read beacons. The Law Ministry is also in favour of restricting the use of red beacons.
However, the Home ministry does not want any changes in the present list.
The Road Ministry recommended that only officials specially notified be allowed to use the read beacons and not the ones who are equivalent in the rank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says