Uncertainty over Lokpal Bill in monsoon session of Parl
New Delhi: Uncertainty prevails over the much-talked about Lokpal bill being brought up for consideration in the monsoon session of Parliament beginning on August 8.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said the bill has not been listed for consideration in the session but the government is committed to expeditiously bringing it once it gets the report from the Select Committee of the Rajya Sabha.
The bill has been passed in the Lok Sabha, debated in the Rajya Sabha and was later referred to the Select Committee.
Bansal said the Select Committee is expected to give its report on the first day of the last week of the monsoon session which is concluding on September seven.
Insisting that the government is keen to pass it as early as possible, he recalled the Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley is also a member of the Select Committee going into the bill.
In May this year, in yet another twist, the controversial Lokpal and Lokayuktas Bill was referred to the select committee of Rajya Sabha, further delaying the setting up of the anti-graft ombudsman which has been hanging fire for 42 years.
The bill, on which the debate had remained inconclusive in the Rajya Sabha during the last winter session, was referred to the select committee through a motion soon after minister of state for personnel V Narayanasamy moved it for consideration and passage.
As many as 31 bills, including those on Forward Contracts, Banking laws, whistleblowers and women`s reservation, are listed in the session as also the Prevention of Bribery of Foreign Public Officials bill.
Replying to a question, he said the Insurance Bill and the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) Bill do not figure in the agenda.
He said 118 bills have been pending at one stage or other.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!