Uncertainty over Parl extension from Dec 27
New Delhi: Uncertainty prevailed over
extension of Parliament`s Winter Session from December 27 to
facilitate the passage of the Lokpal Bill and some other key
legislations with the proposal coming under stiff opposition
from some parties and MPs.
Fresh moves are afoot to have an extra sitting on
December 23 to complete the task as MPs are said to be averse
to an extension beyond Christmas.
Parliament was originally scheduled to conclude its
Winter Session on December 22 and the extension was planned to
clear the Lokpal Bill, the whistle blowers bill and the
Judicial Accountability bill.
Hours after announcing on Tuesday that the session was being
extended for three days from December 27, Parliamentary
Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said that the plan could
undergo review tomorrow.
He said ever since the Business Advisory Committee of
the Lok Sabha took the decision, there have been demands from
individual parties and MPs that the extension needed to be
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal had
sounded BJP Parliamentary Party leader LK Advani on the
The Opposition parties had sought discussion on the
three key legislations that are part of the government`s
strategy to tackle corruption.
The government has been racing against time to firm up
the anti-graft Bill in view of the looming threat of Anna
Hazare to go on hunger strike from December 27 if Parliament
fails to pass a strong Lokpal Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla