Uncertainty over Parl extension from Dec 27
New Delhi: Uncertainty prevailed over
extension of Parliament`s Winter Session from December 27 to
facilitate the passage of the Lokpal Bill and some other key
legislations with the proposal coming under stiff opposition
from some parties and MPs.
Fresh moves are afoot to have an extra sitting on
December 23 to complete the task as MPs are said to be averse
to an extension beyond Christmas.
Parliament was originally scheduled to conclude its
Winter Session on December 22 and the extension was planned to
clear the Lokpal Bill, the whistle blowers bill and the
Judicial Accountability bill.
Hours after announcing on Tuesday that the session was being
extended for three days from December 27, Parliamentary
Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said that the plan could
undergo review tomorrow.
He said ever since the Business Advisory Committee of
the Lok Sabha took the decision, there have been demands from
individual parties and MPs that the extension needed to be
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal had
sounded BJP Parliamentary Party leader LK Advani on the
The Opposition parties had sought discussion on the
three key legislations that are part of the government`s
strategy to tackle corruption.
The government has been racing against time to firm up
the anti-graft Bill in view of the looming threat of Anna
Hazare to go on hunger strike from December 27 if Parliament
fails to pass a strong Lokpal Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families? - Part II
- HUGE HONOUR! PM Narendra Modi featured in Obama's DNC introduction video - WATCH
- NASA reveals new information on Sun's magnetic field and its kin!
- Argentine FA hope for Lionel Messi international U-turn
- Sebastian Vettel confident of Ferrari future despite James Allison exit
- Paes story: Seven-up Leander has Olympic Games in blood