Unclaimed laptop bag near Army hospital sparks security alert
New Delhi: An unclaimed laptop bag found near an Army hospital here on Monday sparked security alert and security men went into a tizzy with reports of abandoned vehicles in two separate incidents.
The laptop bag was found near the Army Research and Referral Hospital in Dhaula Kuan locality of South West Delhi.
Police said they got a call at around 3.30 pm that two youth in a motorcycle dropped the bag. Both the sniffer dogs and the army`s bomb disposal squad were pressed into service.
They said since the checks found something suspicious, Army`s 202 Bomb Squad destroyed the suspicious bag outside the hospital at 5.20 pm.
They also said teams from NSG and Delhi Police`s Special Cell also went to the spot immediately after getting a call in this regard.
The sniffer dogs could not clearly establish whether it contained explosives or not, police said.
The entire area was cordoned off and the army`s bomb disposal squad then used a controlled explosion to open the bag, police said adding some bricks and loose wires of laptop were recovered from it.
Another incident was reported from bustling M-Block market of posh Greater Kailash in South Delhi over a motorcycle parked near a cigaratte vendor.
Repeated announcements made on the Public Address System for the bike`s failed to elicit a response, prompting the authorities to call for a bomb disposal squad.
Another call was also reported from a West Delhi locality, which police said turned out to be hoax.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- 7th Pay Commission: Know at a glance, see this informative chart
- Complete list of athletes representing India at 2016 Rio Olympics
- Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump by 11 points in US presidential race
- Pakistan strongly condemns terrorist attack at Istanbul airport
- From criticism to unconditional love: Argentine fans urge Lionel Messi not to quit