Under BJP three new states were carved out through discussions: Nirmala Sitharaman
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party said on Monday that under their rule three news states were carved out through discussions.
BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman reportedly told the media, "Under BJP three new states were carved out. We did that through discussion."
She added that the party stood by its commitment on smaller states. At the same time she said that the BJP wanted to be sure that no region suffers.
Coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema regions of Andhra Pradesh today continued to simmer with protests against the proposed bifurcation of the state as curfew remained in place in restive Vizianagaram town and large areas plunged into darkness with electricity employees on strike.
Roiling since the Union Cabinet`s October 3 decision to carve out a new state of Telangana, Vizianagaram is under curfew since Saturday night following large-scale violence.
Central paramilitary forces and state police are patrolling Kanyakaparameswari temple junction, Kothapeta, Dasannapeta, Gajularega, BC Colony, V K Agraharam and other parts of the town to prevent any fresh outbreak of violence.
The Seemandhra region as also Hyderabad was reeling under a power crisis with employees of state`s electricity generation, transmission and distribution companies on an indefinite strike since yesterday.
The strike has forced cancellation of several trains and also the ongoing `Brahmotsavams` at Tirumala hills, the abode of Lord Venkateswara at Tirupati.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy will meet the representatives of the agitating employees on Wednesday, State`s Finance Minister A Ramanarayana Reddy told reporters. The Chief Minister had yesterday asked employees of Andhra Pradesh Southern Power Distribution Company Limited (APSPDCL) from the Seemadhra districts to call off the strike and resume duty considering the ongoing `Brahmotsavams` at the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam (TTD).
Meanwhile, the indefinite fast launched by YSR Congress president Y S Jaganmohan Reddy against the state`s proposed bifurcation entered third day today.
With PTI inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed