Under BJP three new states were carved out through discussions: Nirmala Sitharaman
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party said on Monday that under their rule three news states were carved out through discussions.
BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman reportedly told the media, "Under BJP three new states were carved out. We did that through discussion."
She added that the party stood by its commitment on smaller states. At the same time she said that the BJP wanted to be sure that no region suffers.
Coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema regions of Andhra Pradesh today continued to simmer with protests against the proposed bifurcation of the state as curfew remained in place in restive Vizianagaram town and large areas plunged into darkness with electricity employees on strike.
Roiling since the Union Cabinet`s October 3 decision to carve out a new state of Telangana, Vizianagaram is under curfew since Saturday night following large-scale violence.
Central paramilitary forces and state police are patrolling Kanyakaparameswari temple junction, Kothapeta, Dasannapeta, Gajularega, BC Colony, V K Agraharam and other parts of the town to prevent any fresh outbreak of violence.
The Seemandhra region as also Hyderabad was reeling under a power crisis with employees of state`s electricity generation, transmission and distribution companies on an indefinite strike since yesterday.
The strike has forced cancellation of several trains and also the ongoing `Brahmotsavams` at Tirumala hills, the abode of Lord Venkateswara at Tirupati.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy will meet the representatives of the agitating employees on Wednesday, State`s Finance Minister A Ramanarayana Reddy told reporters. The Chief Minister had yesterday asked employees of Andhra Pradesh Southern Power Distribution Company Limited (APSPDCL) from the Seemadhra districts to call off the strike and resume duty considering the ongoing `Brahmotsavams` at the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam (TTD).
Meanwhile, the indefinite fast launched by YSR Congress president Y S Jaganmohan Reddy against the state`s proposed bifurcation entered third day today.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets