Under BJP three new states were carved out through discussions: Nirmala Sitharaman
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party said on Monday that under their rule three news states were carved out through discussions.
BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman reportedly told the media, "Under BJP three new states were carved out. We did that through discussion."
She added that the party stood by its commitment on smaller states. At the same time she said that the BJP wanted to be sure that no region suffers.
Coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema regions of Andhra Pradesh today continued to simmer with protests against the proposed bifurcation of the state as curfew remained in place in restive Vizianagaram town and large areas plunged into darkness with electricity employees on strike.
Roiling since the Union Cabinet`s October 3 decision to carve out a new state of Telangana, Vizianagaram is under curfew since Saturday night following large-scale violence.
Central paramilitary forces and state police are patrolling Kanyakaparameswari temple junction, Kothapeta, Dasannapeta, Gajularega, BC Colony, V K Agraharam and other parts of the town to prevent any fresh outbreak of violence.
The Seemandhra region as also Hyderabad was reeling under a power crisis with employees of state`s electricity generation, transmission and distribution companies on an indefinite strike since yesterday.
The strike has forced cancellation of several trains and also the ongoing `Brahmotsavams` at Tirumala hills, the abode of Lord Venkateswara at Tirupati.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy will meet the representatives of the agitating employees on Wednesday, State`s Finance Minister A Ramanarayana Reddy told reporters. The Chief Minister had yesterday asked employees of Andhra Pradesh Southern Power Distribution Company Limited (APSPDCL) from the Seemadhra districts to call off the strike and resume duty considering the ongoing `Brahmotsavams` at the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam (TTD).
Meanwhile, the indefinite fast launched by YSR Congress president Y S Jaganmohan Reddy against the state`s proposed bifurcation entered third day today.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming