Under HC pressure, AI pilots defer strike till Mar 31
New Delhi: With the Delhi High Court
restraining Air India pilots from going on strike on March 16,
the pilots on Tuesday night decided to defer their action till March 31
following the setting up a three-member committee by Civil
Aviation Ministry to examine the wage parity issue.
"We decided to defer the strike till March 31 after we
received the letter from the Ministry about constitution of a
three-member committee headed by retire Supreme Court judge DN Dharmadhikari," Captain Rishabh Kapoor, General secretary of
Indian Commercial Pilot`s Association (ICPA) said after a
10-hour tripartite meeting with the carrier`s management and
the Chief Labour Commissioner here.
The committee will submit its report in 5 months but Air
India management told the CLC that it will give an interim
proposal to Civil Aviation Ministry by March 31 on the wage
parity issue, Kapoor added.
The other members of the committee include Professor R
Dholakia from Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad and
"We are trying our best to avoid this strike. We also
want peace and no disruption in airline`s functioning. We are
leaving no stone unturned. But if the management, despite
putting in writing, fails to resolve the issue, then we would
be left with no option but to go on strike," Kapoor said.
Earlier, the Delhi High Court restrained the pilots
from going on strike on Wednesday.
Justice Gita Mittal, in an order, directed the ICPA to
adhere to their statments made before the court that they will
not take the coercive step till the concilliation proceedings
headed by the Chief Labour Commissioner concludes.
The ICPA, which represents around 800 pilots of
erstwhile Indian Airlines, had served a 14-day strike notice
on February 23 charging the management with having failed to
address their grievances and violated agreements on issues
like pay parity and better working conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?