Undergrad programmes in IITs to be costlier
New Delhi: The IITs on Monday approved a hike in tuition fee for undergraduate students from Rs 50,000 to Rs 90,000 per year with effect from this year.
HRD Minister M M Pallam Raju said the the Group of Directors of IITs and Empowered Task Force had recommeded revision of fee and the revised rates will applicable to the new entrants to the undergraduate programmes.
The fee may revised periodically, he said.
After the 46th meeting of Council of IITs here, Raju said that at present, the undergraduate students pay an annual tuition fee of Rs 50,000.
The empowered task force had considered the details for implementation of the Kakodkar Committee which had recommended last year a steep hike of Rs 2-2.5 lakh per annum from the existing Rs 50,000.
The Group of Directors of IITs and Empowered Task Force had revised the downwards the recommendations.
The fee was last revised from Rs 25,000 to Rs 50,000 per annum from the academic session 2008-09.
"No tuition fee is charged from the students belonging to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes. A number of other facilities like free mess, free hostel facility and free book bank facilities are available to SC and SC students," the Minister told reporters here.
Besides, 25 per cent of total students, whose parental income is less than Rs 4.5 lakh per year, are given 100 per cent scholarships, Raju said.
Members of Council of IITs stressed that easy loan facility is available to students and no student, who has qualified JEE, is denied entry into IITs due to financial constraints.
One of the key recommendations of the Kakodkar Committee was that IITs become financially independent of non-plan (operational) budgetary support to meet their operating expenditure, while the capital, students scholarships, support and infrastructure expenditure continue to be met fully under plan (capital budget support) by the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened