UNGA president meets Indian envoy Puri
New York: UN General Assembly
president Joseph Deiss met with Indian Ambassador to the UN
Hardeep Singh Puri here to discuss several issues ranging from
UN reforms to the crisis engulfing countries of Syria, Libya
Deiss also met with the head of Economic and Social
Council (ECOSOC) to discuss increased cooperation and reform.
India holds the rotating presidency of the UN Security
Council this month. Deiss and Puri discussed the Council`s
upcoming debate on peacekeeping, scheduled for August 26, as
well as current "hotspots such as Syria, Libya, Yemen, Sudan
and Somalia", a statement by the Assembly president’s
The two officials also discussed ways to strengthen
coordination and interaction between the 193-member Assembly
and the 15-member Council, it added.
In a separate meeting with Ambassador Lazarous Kapambwe
of Zambia, the current President of ECOSOC, Deiss discussed
reform of the 54-member Council so that it can more
effectively implement its resolutions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH