UNGA president meets Indian envoy Puri
New York: UN General Assembly
president Joseph Deiss met with Indian Ambassador to the UN
Hardeep Singh Puri here to discuss several issues ranging from
UN reforms to the crisis engulfing countries of Syria, Libya
Deiss also met with the head of Economic and Social
Council (ECOSOC) to discuss increased cooperation and reform.
India holds the rotating presidency of the UN Security
Council this month. Deiss and Puri discussed the Council`s
upcoming debate on peacekeeping, scheduled for August 26, as
well as current "hotspots such as Syria, Libya, Yemen, Sudan
and Somalia", a statement by the Assembly president’s
The two officials also discussed ways to strengthen
coordination and interaction between the 193-member Assembly
and the 15-member Council, it added.
In a separate meeting with Ambassador Lazarous Kapambwe
of Zambia, the current President of ECOSOC, Deiss discussed
reform of the 54-member Council so that it can more
effectively implement its resolutions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Inclusion of Pakistani players will raise importance, status of Indian Premier League: Zaheer Abbas
- Bihar journalist Rajdeo Ranjan's murder: Major breakthrough - Five shooters arrested in connection with case
- Primordial black holes and dark matter are linked: NASA
- Check UBSE / UEEB 10th Results 2016: Uttarakhand / Uttaranchal (UK) Board Class 10th Exam Results 2016 announced
- Check UBSE / UEEB 12th Results 2016: Uttarakhand / Uttaranchal (UK) Board Class 12th Exam Results 2016 declared