UNGA president meets Indian envoy Puri
New York: UN General Assembly
president Joseph Deiss met with Indian Ambassador to the UN
Hardeep Singh Puri here to discuss several issues ranging from
UN reforms to the crisis engulfing countries of Syria, Libya
Deiss also met with the head of Economic and Social
Council (ECOSOC) to discuss increased cooperation and reform.
India holds the rotating presidency of the UN Security
Council this month. Deiss and Puri discussed the Council`s
upcoming debate on peacekeeping, scheduled for August 26, as
well as current "hotspots such as Syria, Libya, Yemen, Sudan
and Somalia", a statement by the Assembly president’s
The two officials also discussed ways to strengthen
coordination and interaction between the 193-member Assembly
and the 15-member Council, it added.
In a separate meeting with Ambassador Lazarous Kapambwe
of Zambia, the current President of ECOSOC, Deiss discussed
reform of the 54-member Council so that it can more
effectively implement its resolutions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- Yuvraj Singh outsmarted by Zaheer Khan's rumoured girlfriend Sagarika Ghatge on troll attempt!