UNGA president meets Indian envoy Puri
New York: UN General Assembly
president Joseph Deiss met with Indian Ambassador to the UN
Hardeep Singh Puri here to discuss several issues ranging from
UN reforms to the crisis engulfing countries of Syria, Libya
Deiss also met with the head of Economic and Social
Council (ECOSOC) to discuss increased cooperation and reform.
India holds the rotating presidency of the UN Security
Council this month. Deiss and Puri discussed the Council`s
upcoming debate on peacekeeping, scheduled for August 26, as
well as current "hotspots such as Syria, Libya, Yemen, Sudan
and Somalia", a statement by the Assembly president’s
The two officials also discussed ways to strengthen
coordination and interaction between the 193-member Assembly
and the 15-member Council, it added.
In a separate meeting with Ambassador Lazarous Kapambwe
of Zambia, the current President of ECOSOC, Deiss discussed
reform of the 54-member Council so that it can more
effectively implement its resolutions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Scientists reconstruct detailed 3D eyes from single photo
- Santander pips BBVA: Eurozone`s largest bank becomes La Liga's newest sponsors
- US sanctions target Assad regime's arms, finance networks
- Bastille Day killer had help preparing Nice attack, says Paris prosecutor
- Another milestone for captain marvellous: Virat Kohli completes 3000 Test runs