Unhappy Anna Hazare casts net wider to revive anti-graft crusade
Ralegan-Siddhi: Unhappy with the manner in which the anti-corruption movement has been floundering for the past few months, its chief proponent Anna Hazare has decided to take some drastic steps to put it back on track, an official said here Monday.
For starters, Hazare has cast his net wider by inviting 35 top social workers from all over India for confabulations on how to strengthen and take forward the movement, the official said.
"Tomorrow, he will meet around half a dozen prominent social figures in Pune, followed by a similar meeting in New Delhi Wednesday," the aide, requesting anonymity told IANS.
At these meetings, Hazare is expected to make an appeal to these personalities - each renowned in their respective sphere - to either join or advise him on taking the anti-corruption crusade to its logical end.
Some of the prominent persons who have been invited include: Prakash Amte, Abhay Bang, Girish Prabhune, Suniti S.R., Medha Patkar, Vishwambhar Choudhary, Surekha Dalwi, Ulka Mahajan, Bhau Torsekar, Narendra Dabholkar, Jaywant Matkar and Avinash Dharmadhikari.
While many have responded positively to the invitation, a few others have cited prior commitments preventing them from attending Hazare`s deliberations.
Hazare emphatically reiterated that he would not contest elections, nor form a political party - throwing cold water on a `referendum` by India Against Corruption (IAC), the results of which were released this evening.
According to the IAC, its week-long survey attracted 737,041 respondents of whom 561,701 - 76 percent, favoured a political party.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know