Union Budget 2013 shows no early polls on cards
New Delhi: With the Budget not resorting to populism, the BJP and Samajwadi Party on Thursday said there was little possibility of early Lok Sabha Elections.
SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, whose party has been supporting the UPA from outside but who has on many occasions indicated that early General Elections could be on cards, said, "They (UPA) won`t be able to hold early elections with the kind of budget they have presented."
He said that he was expecting that keeping elections in mind, the budget will be farmer-friendly but was "disappointed" to see that it is "anti-farmer, anti-poor and anti-workers".
Yadav said that the country cannot prosper unless the farmers prosper.
"I am opposing the budget and will oppose the budget. SP will oppose the budget in Parliament," he said.
Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj was also dismissive when asked whether she expects early Lok Sabha polls.
"What elections? They will happen on time," the BJP leader said.
There has been a buzz that the government could advance elections and hold it sometime this year, months before the term of this government expires in 2014. Swaraj had slammed the budget as "unimaginative, dull and boring".
"In nine years, the UPA government first pushed the economy in distress and then a helpless Finance Minister comes out with a budget, which has very little elbow space," her counterpart in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!