Union Cabinet clears Rs 12,000 crore package for Bihar
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: With the BJP-JD-U war over Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi intensifying, the Union Cabinet cleared Rs 12,000 crore package for Bihar on Thursday.
The Bihar package under the Backward Region Grant Fund (BRGF) is a substantial mark up from Rs 5,500 crore during the previous Plan period and comes at a time when Congress is eyeing Janata Dal (U) leader Nitish Kumar to shore up support in Parliament.
The recent troubles in NDA over Modi’s likely chances of becoming the BJP’s prime ministerial candidate in 2014 polls, with Janata Dal (U) and BJP on the verge of a split, has provided the ruling coalition an opportunity to woo the Bihar CM given UPA`s depleted numbers following the exit of DMK.
Bihar had earlier received special support of Rs 1,000 crore a year since Jharkhand was carved out of it in 2000. The grant was to be discontinued, but Kumar managed to keep it going in the 11th five-year plan. In comparison, Odisha has been given Rs 1,250 crore.
It will be interesting to see if the move will please Kumar as the funds expected to be allocated are far less than his demand of Rs 20,000 crore, while it would be highest allocation for any state under BRGF.
In another development, BJP chief Rajnath Singh will meet the state unit leaders of Bihar today to resolve their growing differences with the leaders of ally JD-U over the issue of projecting Modi as the BJP candidate for the prime minister’s post.
Interestingly, it was also reported that former BJP chief Nitin Gadkari had once assured Kumar that Modi will never become the party’s candidate for the top post, something which he categorically denied today.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day