Union Cabinet clears SC/ST quota in job promotions
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday cleared a proposal that would allow it to provide reservation for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in promotion in state jobs.
The Union Cabinet, at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, approved the proposal for making provisions for quotas for SC/STs in promotions in government jobs.
The Cabinet nod clears the decks for introduction of a Constitution Amendment Bill in the ongoing session of Parliament, which has been a long-standing demand of all parties, barring the Samajwati Party.
An all-party meeting, convened by the Prime Minister on August 21, had discussed the issue of reservation in promotion specifically in the wake of the decision of the Supreme Court striking down reservation in promotion to SCs and STs in Uttar Pradesh.
Most political parties had favoured a legally sustainable legislation in the backdrop of the Supreme Court order.
The proposed bill seeks to amend at least four articles of the Constitution to enable the government to provide quota in promotions to SC/STs.
BSP leader Mayawati had raised the issue in Parliament after the Supreme Court had on April 28 struck down her government`s decision in this regard.
Parliament had witnessed disruptions on the issue in the current as well as the previous session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!