Union Cabinet to discuss Telangana crisis today
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet will on Thursday meet to discuss the issue of granting statehood to Telangana and the political chaos prevailing in Andhra Pradesh.
According to reports, today’s Cabinet meet comes in the wake of a massive 48-hour bandh called by pro-Telangana activists, which has severely hit Hyderabad and other parts of the Telangana region.
On Wednesday, security forces had to face a tough time trying to restore normalcy in the most-affected areas. At some places, the security forces had to fire teargas shells to disperse protestors and students demanding the creation of a separate Telangnana state out of Andhra Pradesh.
Fierce clashes were also reported at Osmania University in Hyderabad underscoring the political chaos that Andhra Pradesh is confronting. The college has once again become the staging ground for protests that demand a new state of Telangana be carved out immediately.
The Congress Core Group also held an emergency meeting on Wednesday evening to discuss the pros and cons of the situation, and the urgent need to start a dialogue among the various regions of Andhra Pradesh to try and find an amicable solution.
A total of 100 MLAs from different parties in Andhra Pradesh have resigned so far, demanding a new state of Telangana.
The resignations include 45 from the Congress, 11 from the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), 37 from the Opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP), and both legislators from Chiranjeevi`s Praja Rajyam Party (PRP).
The 48-hour bandh will be followed by student rallies on Thursday and rail blockades that are planned on Friday and Saturday.
Importantly, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram had categorically ruled out any plans to impose the President’s Rule in the Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!