Union Cabinet to discuss Telangana crisis today
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet will on Thursday meet to discuss the issue of granting statehood to Telangana and the political chaos prevailing in Andhra Pradesh.
According to reports, today’s Cabinet meet comes in the wake of a massive 48-hour bandh called by pro-Telangana activists, which has severely hit Hyderabad and other parts of the Telangana region.
On Wednesday, security forces had to face a tough time trying to restore normalcy in the most-affected areas. At some places, the security forces had to fire teargas shells to disperse protestors and students demanding the creation of a separate Telangnana state out of Andhra Pradesh.
Fierce clashes were also reported at Osmania University in Hyderabad underscoring the political chaos that Andhra Pradesh is confronting. The college has once again become the staging ground for protests that demand a new state of Telangana be carved out immediately.
The Congress Core Group also held an emergency meeting on Wednesday evening to discuss the pros and cons of the situation, and the urgent need to start a dialogue among the various regions of Andhra Pradesh to try and find an amicable solution.
A total of 100 MLAs from different parties in Andhra Pradesh have resigned so far, demanding a new state of Telangana.
The resignations include 45 from the Congress, 11 from the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), 37 from the Opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP), and both legislators from Chiranjeevi`s Praja Rajyam Party (PRP).
The 48-hour bandh will be followed by student rallies on Thursday and rail blockades that are planned on Friday and Saturday.
Importantly, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram had categorically ruled out any plans to impose the President’s Rule in the Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone