Union Carbide to be opened; Hiroshima-like memorial planned
Bhopal: The premises of the defunct Union
Carbide factory will be opened for public from next month, 25
years after the gas leak from it killed and maimed thousands
of people, a senior minister said today.
"Union Carbide factory premises will be thrown open for
public in January. The date of opening has not been finalised
yet. The state also has plans to build Hiroshima-like memorial
there depicting detailed account of the disaster," Bhopal Gas
Tragedy Relief and Rehabilitation Minister Babulal Gaur said.
However, he informed that the people would not be allowed
to enter the factory unit which once manufactured pesticides,
adding the visitors can see it from a distance.
"The Madhya Pradesh High Court gave permission to open
the factory premises last week but given the code of conduct
in place for the forthcoming civic elections, we have decided
to open it from January," Gaur told PTI.
The state has plans to construct boundary wall around the
factory to keep off encroachers, he added.
Gaur, a former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister, said the
state government has sought Rs 116 crore from the Centre to
build a memorial for the victims in the factory premises
spread over an area of 67 acres.
He said that the state wants to build a memorial of
international standard akin to the one in Hiroshima in Japan,
depicting detailed account of one of the worst industrial
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced