Union government assures all help to the displaced
New Delhi: As Uttarakhand struggles in the aftermath of massive floods, Centre on Sunday assured all possible help for relief and rehabilitation of the displaced people in the state and said it will do its best to bring back normalcy.
"People who were displaced will be rehabilitated. We will do whatever has to be done. We will see how normalcy can be brought back," new Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami told reporters.
He said the relief and rehabilitation efforts would take time. "Tourists and pilgrims always keep going there" he said, adding it is not a one-day task.
The Home Secretary said initially there would be problems for everyone as many people lost their lives and many are still missing.
"There would be problems now. But we will do it. We need to speak to the Uttrakhand government and get solutions," he said.
Asked about reports that the Meteorological Department had warned about heavy rains in Uttarakhand before the disaster struck and advised that `Char Dham` yatra should be postponed, Goswami said he cannot comment on the issue till he sees the official documents.
"Till I meet Met department officials and see documents, I can`t comment," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why